[Crm-sig] Scope Note of E52 Time Span

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Oct 8 19:53:58 EEST 2019

Dear All,
This scope note needs revision in the bold parts, I think:

E52 Time-Span

Subclass of: E1 <#_E1_CRM_Entity> CRM Entity

Scope note:         This class comprises abstract temporal extents, in
the sense of Galilean physics, having a beginning, an end and a duration.

Time Span has no other semantic connotations. Time-Spans are used to
define the temporal extent of instances of E4 Period, E5 Event and any
other phenomena valid for a certain time. [MD1] *A Time-Span may be
identified by....*

Since our knowledge of history is imperfect, instances of E52 Time-Span
can best be considered as approximations of the actual Time-Spans of
temporal entities. The properties of E52 Time-Span are intended to allow
these approximations to be expressed precisely.  An extreme case of
approximation, might, for example, define an instance of E52 Time-Span
having unknown beginning, end and duration. *Used as a common E52
Time-Span for two events*, it would nevertheless define them as being
simultaneous, even if nothing else was known[CSO2] .

  Automatic processing and querying of instances of E52 Time-Span is
facilitated if data can be parsed into an E61 Time Primitive.

Examples:

§  1961

§  From 12-17-1993 to 12-8-1996

§  14h30 – 16h22 4th July 1945

§  9.30 am 1.1.1999 to 2.00 pm 1.1.1999

§  duration of the Ming Dynasty (Chan, 2011)

In First Order Logic:

                            E52(x) ⊃ E1(x)

[MD1] <#_msoanchor_1>Needs more text…

[CSO2] <#_msoanchor_2>Should we keep this?

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr