[Crm-sig] Recording absence

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Nov 5 18:49:52 EET 2019

Dear Martijn, All,

As you state, an empty collection does not really work, because nothing
is curated or created. This would be "Relational Database" thinking,
where you fill in slots.

The interesting thing is, to be clear about WHAT is negated. What is a
"no archaeological finds at all" ?
Obviously, it needs a specification of WHAT was sought or expected
starting the investigation. This appears to be E55 Types. So, we have a
property "O19 <#_O19_has_found>* has found object of type (was type of
object found by)", and its negative. This is not dramatic, to define for
all respective properties the "categorical" equivalent, and the
negative, once they are simple deductions, and do not proliferate.

But interesting is also the activity of seeking, but not finding. So, a
survey is seeking, results in n encounters. Here, we have  "no encounter
event",  no event linking to "object of type". This is more complex. The
"no" is about the event....

Comments?

martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr