[Crm-sig] Homework: New class Externalization for LRMoo

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon May 20 21:07:57 EEST 2019

Dear Patrick,

Thank you very much for your elaborate thoughts!:-)

On 5/13/2019 11:45 AM, patrick.le-boeuf at bnf.fr wrote:
> Dear Martin, and dear all,
> I'm sorry I couldn't attend the meeting, and I'm therefore not aware
> of the discussions that underlie this scope note. I think that the
> idea of declaring a specific class for the process of conveying
> information in a sensory form (for this is how I understand this new
> class) is extremely useful and interesting, so much so that I think it
> shouldn't be confined to LRMoo alone, but should be uplifted into
> CIDOC CRM, with additional examples taken from the universe of
> discourse of CIDOC CRM (such as a sculptor making a sculpture, an art
> student painting a copy of Mona Lisa, the Greek runner notifying
> Athenian citizens that their soldiers have won the Marathon battle,
> etc. -- perhaps even Martin or Steve giving a CIDOC CRM tutorial?).
That is indeed a justified thought, but all the context comes from LRM,
and we have problems to keep CRMbase concise enough. So I'd rather tend
to leave it in LRM.
> In the proposed scope note, which is overall fine with me, I simply
> have some doubts about the clause "intended for being received in this
> completeness by some audience"; while I agree that this is generally
> the case, there are also many counter-examples: rehearsals are
> instances of Externalization Event, although the intention is only
> indirect here (performers rehearse in order to improve what the
> audience will receive in a later event); a teenager writing a diary
> may not want any audience to read the externalized Expression, and it
> is unclear whether Franz Kafka or Emily Dickison were OK with the idea
> of having their externalized Expressions reach an audience, as they
> requested that all their manuscripts be destroyed after their death;
> and I'm also thinking of Mediaeval and Eastern performances which are
> only intended to be seen by God or the gods (unless we regard God or
> the gods as a valid instance of audience). However, it is possible to
> solve the issue by saying that the instances of E39 Actor who
> externalize such Expressions are themselves their own audience,
> possibly the only audience for which those complete Expressions are
> intended.

Well, difficult. In any case, the manuscripts were in a form potentially
for an external audience. I wrote this phrase to make sure that not each
utterance of a phoneme is regarded as externalization event. Since we
model "bottom-up", I'd like to make sure we catch well the regular
cases. The question, if private notes should be published, is quite
interesting. Anybody has a right to hide and destroy his products, be it
artists, researchers, technicians or amateurs in any capacity. The
posthumous hunt for half-finished products of an artist is another
social phenomenon.

For the time being, I'd rather concentrate on the intended
externalizations, taking gods for a valid audience. But, we need a good
way to describe the posthumous publication of fragmentary material. I'd
rather tend to blame the editor for it?

> As for the label for the new property, rather than "has memorization",
> I would think of something like "Rxx is witnessed in / is a witness
> of" (in the sense of codicology and textual criticism: manuscripts are
> called "witnesses" of a text tradition). The resulting Expression is
> but a "witness" of what happened during the Externalization Event.

Sounds intellectually very clean, but I fear the narrower sense of
"witness" will confuse people in case of recordings and simple writing??

All the best,

Martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr