[Crm-sig] Regarding Ontology Versioning

Joel Cummings jcumming at uoguelph.ca
Thu May 16 01:01:58 EEST 2019

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some clarification on how versioning works with the ontology as we try to choose a version for development.

I'm referencing the following page: http://www.cidoc-crm.org/versions-of-the-cidoc-crm I see that 6.1 was never published but 6.2 was, does this mean then that 6.2 contains the content of 6.1 even though 6.1 was never published? Or was 6.1 abandoned completely and for developer sake a new version was chosen?

Additionally, how are versions numbers determined, what constitutes x.x.x vs x.x? In other words how are major and minor versions determined, with software it is normally major versions can contain breaking changes (x), minor versions (x.x) contain feature improvements and (x.x.x) contains bug fixes, how does this work for CIDOC-CRM?

Lastly I'm trying to determine what version one should use in a production system. On that version page above it notes that the "Official" version is 5.0.4 and says that "This is a revised and complete community version of the CIDOC CRM ontology that directly corresponds to an official ISO version of the standard. It is a stable version of the standard and can be used for implementation, referencing and any other official purpose. The document is final and will undergo no further change."

However, for a Published Version it provides a very similar definition: "This is a revised and complete community version of the CIDOC CRM ontology. It is a stable version of the standard and can be used for implementation, referencing and any other official purpose. It represents a stable evolution of the model relative to the last official version. The document is final and will undergo no further change.”

What version is typically recommended for new users to the ontology? Published or Official (They both say they are okay for implementation)
What determines when an official version is created?

Best regards,
Joel Cummings