[Crm-sig] Homework: New class Externalization for LRMoo

patrick.le-boeuf at bnf.fr patrick.le-boeuf at bnf.fr
Mon May 13 11:45:12 EEST 2019

Dear Martin, and dear all,
I'm sorry I couldn't attend the meeting, and I'm therefore not aware of
the discussions that underlie this scope note. I think that the idea of
declaring a specific class for the process of conveying information in a
sensory form (for this is how I understand this new class) is extremely
useful and interesting, so much so that I think it shouldn't be confined
to LRMoo alone, but should be uplifted into CIDOC CRM, with additional
examples taken from the universe of discourse of CIDOC CRM (such as a
sculptor making a sculpture, an art student painting a copy of Mona Lisa,
the Greek runner notifying Athenian citizens that their soldiers have won
the Marathon battle, etc. -- perhaps even Martin or Steve giving a CIDOC
CRM tutorial?).
In the proposed scope note, which is overall fine with me, I simply have
some doubts about the clause "intended for being received in this
completeness by some audience"; while I agree that this is generally the
case, there are also many counter-examples: rehearsals are instances of
Externalization Event, although the intention is only indirect here
(performers rehearse in order to improve what the audience will receive in
a later event); a teenager writing a diary may not want any audience to
read the externalized Expression, and it is unclear whether Franz Kafka or
Emily Dickison were OK with the idea of having their externalized
Expressions reach an audience, as they requested that all their
manuscripts be destroyed after their death; and I'm also thinking of
Mediaeval and Eastern performances which are only intended to be seen by
God or the gods (unless we regard God or the gods as a valid instance of
audience). However, it is possible to solve the issue by saying that the
instances of E39 Actor who externalize such Expressions are themselves
their own audience, possibly the only audience for which those complete
Expressions are intended.
As for the label for the new property, rather than "has memorization", I
would think of something like "Rxx is witnessed in / is a witness of" (in
the sense of codicology and textual criticism: manuscripts are called
"witnesses" of a text tradition). The resulting Expression is but a
"witness" of what happened during the Externalization Event.
At any rate, congratulations for this significant addition to the model,
no matter whether it is LRMoo or CIDOC CRM!
Best wishes,
Patrick