[Crm-sig] begin_of_the_begin /end_of_the_end is excluded from time range?

Florian Kräutli fkraeutli at mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de
Fri May 10 01:06:29 EEST 2019

    	I actually think that the text makes the right assumption. If something is said to have happened in 1586 we can be reasonablycertain that it happened before 1 January 1587. We can’t be certain that it did not happen a millisecond after 31 December 1586 at 23:59:59.
I think we should provide two examples. One that matches the text and the current one, mentioning that this can be done for ease of implementation.
Which version one implements is after all not the decision of the CRM, but depends on the available knowledge and interpretation of the source data.
Best,
Florian

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 7:42 PM +0200, "Robert Sanderson" <RSanderson at getty.edu> wrote:

Thanks Florian, Nicola!

Should the example be updated (and thus we must all update our implementations) or the specification to match the example which everyone seems to do in practice?

My proposal would be to do the latter, in the face of the current ambiguity.

What has everyone else done in this situation? 3 data points is interesting, but still anecdotal.

(And I’m not going to mention leap seconds that would make the end of some years 23:59:60 instead of 23:59:59, which would be solved by an exclusive end date)

Rob