[Crm-sig] CRMsoc, about business

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Wed Mar 27 23:08:45 EET 2019

All,

I hope that the SIG meeting is going well, and my (sincere) regrets for not being there!

To express a simple Acquisition of an object for some money: A SO5 contract initializes two SO3 obligations – one to transfer ownership, and one to pay the monetary amount. The E8 Acquisition terminates one, and the SO4 Payment terminates the other.

Meaning that there is a super-event that encapsulates both the payment and the acquisition, rather than that the acquisition subsumes the payment. Granted, the scope note of E8 does not talk about payments, exchanges, or anything else but our current, simpler and less capable model is just to have a Payment activity that is part of the Acquisition, and allow applications to infer that it is the provision that decreases the obligation. This would be in semantic conflict with the proposed model, where the Acquisition activity doesn’t include the Payment (or potentially any other fulfilment of an obligation).

Therefore, regardless of the outcome of the Soc work, could there be an issue to clarify the extent of the Acquisition class, and especially when it begins and ends?

And, more procedurally, in slide 3, if I’m reading the arrows correctly, it proposes that Acquisition is a subclass of SO7 Service Action, which in turn is a subclass of SO2. This seems to break the rule that CRM Base classes are not subclasses of extensions?

Many thanks!

Rob