[Crm-sig] Space time volumes

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Mar 18 19:15:33 EET 2019

Dear Robert,

Yes, this is up to the point. An example for E93 would be nice:
typically, some reported situations, such as a museum object having been
in display case xxx at least for this time-span, etc.

Another important case are the declarative STVs (CRMgeo) we need in
great number for approximating "places", such as "Rome (city)" or
"Poland(state)" in gazetteers, typically by outer bounds. (Franco
Niccolucci and Sorin Hermon propose smaller STV boxes filling up "places").

There are enough high-level classes that need not normally be
instantiated, but axiomatizing them as "abstract classes", as semantic
network models in the 1980'ies proposed, appeared in the end to be
misleading, because it fixes a level of specificity which does not
exists for a general ontology as the CRM. In a way, the specificity of
any class is arbitrary, because an instance has much more
characteristics than any class we use. For instance, if we are
interested in genotypes, the class "Person" becomes completely abstract.
On the other side, in an Open World, any "abstract class" may have a
direct instance, because the respective subclass has not been formulated
in this ontology.

Nevertheless, we used the term informally in the CRM. We could name E92
as "abstract".

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr