[Crm-sig] Issue 326 Resolving inconsistencies between E2, E4, E52 and E92

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Mar 14 21:40:40 EET 2019

Dear Robert,

> Good point!  I agree that the necessary condition of P98 means that
> the Person-STV is impossible, as that temporal projection was not,
> itself, born.  Thus all STVs that are also Persons, must at least
> include the temporal projection of the birth of the Person.

Yes, or, the birth projection overlaps with the person's STV, it
initiates it. The birth begins before, and ends after. The STV's
beginning falls within the birth.

> So … it doesn’t work for Person p10i Person, but it could be reduced
> to a higher level class that doesn’t have such an identity condition.
> For example, for some time I had a phase in which I was 183
> centimeters tall:
>
> Person p10i [
>
>     a E18_Physical_Object ;
>
>     P43_has_dimension [
>
>          a E54_Dimension
>
>          P90_has_value 183 ;
>
>          P91_has_unit <centimeters> ]
>
>    P160_has_temporal_projection [
>
>          a E52_Time-Span ;
>
>          …
>
>    ]

Well, we have a beginning of existence for all E18 instances
corresponding to birth. Obviously, these are natural conditions to be
added, and important reasoning components to be developed for the CRM.
Nothing to do with the IsA versus link problem, isn't it?

Regardless if we define a STV for it, we should know what makes things
to begin to exist and end to exist.

So, I believe, for the respective phase, we still need to know how it
comes into being. If it is arbitrary, then we have the "Presence" class
already, which defines an arbitrary temporal section through the STV. If
not, we need some other class.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr