[Crm-sig] Issue 277 "artist"

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Mar 8 20:36:14 EET 2019

> Martin, all,
>

> One thing to note about the dbpedia ontology is that it is derived
> from the infobox sections of Wikipedia, mostly automatically.
>
> So this could be a very artificial alignment, and I would not put too
> much emphasis on it as a precedent.
Yes, I see.

Nevertheless I like the "artist" example, because it is a vague
attribution, but useful. Exactly the things we prefer to put in E55 Type.
I am intrigued by the different ways someone may be identified as
artist. It reminds me the discourse about "my true mother" of George
Lakoff in "Women, Fire and Dangerous Things". The question is of course,
if we could find an ontology as example which makes some objective
ontological distinctions, such as people having studied fine arts, or
being organized in a community of artists, or make a living by producing
art.
For reasoning with CRM classes, an interesting question is, if we can
infer an artist from her products, or e.g., awards, without classifying
the person.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr