[Crm-sig] Object containership shortcuts?

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Jun 25 20:49:50 EEST 2019

> Dear all,
>
> Has anyone used P54 has current permanent location in practice in an
> information system, where the containing Place is defined only with
> respect to some other physical object?
>
> Some use cases for this pattern:
>
> ·A set of letters in a folder, or a set of paintbrushes in a box
>
> ·A set of coins in a display case
>
> ·Books on a bookshelf
>
> This seems like a very easy use case for a shortcut between Physical
> Objects to avoid creating Places that exist only to be the P54 of some
> other object.  The containing object is typically 1:1 with its
> container-space, as even if there are drawers in a desk, you could
> model the drawer as a part of the desk, which had its own space. Thus
> the cutlery in one drawer, the cooking utensils in a different drawer,
> despite being part of the same kitchen cupboard unit.

The most simple solution is Physical Object IsA Place, with the
respective semantics, of being itself the reference system.

The temporal aspects of P53, P55 are given by the Presence class, which
requires E18 IsA STV, otherwise the paths get very long...

We will try in our team a logical definition of these things.

Thoughts?

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr