[Crm-sig] SOC: Exchange Activity proposal

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Sat Jun 15 15:57:51 EEST 2019

I have some questions about ongoing beliefs in Inf and especially Activity Plans in Soc with regard to the restriction to modeling historical reality, as opposed to planned behavior. It seems that at least Activity Plan and Trigger Event Template are exactly about planned behavior.

However I don’t think that the proposal actually falls afoul of this scoping. It is [historical] reality that there was an exchange (a past acquisition), or that an exchange is currently ongoing (my mortgage).

The way that I would model a sale of three paintings:

·         An exchange begins with an agreement (the contract that establishes the obligations) to exchange the three paintings for a monetary amount.

·         Each of the paintings, either in turn or simultaneously, are acquired, transferring the custody of each to the buyer

·         The custody of the paintings are, again in turn or simultaneously, transferred to the buyer

·         The buyer, in one or more payments, renders the complete monetary amount

·         The fulfillment of these conditions triggers the end of the exchange.

To the question of what is the substance of the exchange, it is the activity that begins with the agreement that each party or their delegates should perform some (likely implicitly) agreed upon set of activities, including Acquisitions, Payments, Moves, Transfers of Custody, Modifications, etc. It ends when all of the agreed upon activities have been performed, or it is cancelled by some external activity by reducing the set of agreed upon actions to only ones that have been completed.

I think the issue is the way that we think about contracts and obligations.  With George and Stephen, I think we agree that they are some sort of Propositional Objects, not Temporal Entities. There is a proposition set that asserts the requirement for the payment(s), custody and title transfers. The requirements are the obligations, and the proposition set of the obligations is the contract. The actual social obligation is something similar to a belief, but one held by a society, rather than an individual.

For example:

The SIG “believes” in the Obligation that Martin owes the SIG some homework that was assigned to him in the 44th SIG meeting in Paris.
Martin does not have any knowledge of that homework as he was not present, but the social norm allows for homework (obligations) to be assigned to people without their explicit consent or knowledge. [And the homework to write something would, IMO, be a Creation, to my previous point]
We might want to track when Martin becomes aware of the Obligation to do the homework, which would be the belief creation.
When the email is written, the trigger event template is matched, executing the (likely implicit) activity plan to remove the obligation and thereby end the exchange activity.

Exchange is not necessarily a good label, it was just one that I took from Francesco’s ontology.

George, Stephen please correct my slightly hazy ;) memory of the discussion!

Rob