[Crm-sig] Reuse identifiers of obsolete entities never published

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Fri Jun 14 10:45:40 EEST 2019

I also agree with Vincent and Richard. Given the very slow rate of change between “official” versions, and the prominence of the intermediate versions, I agree that the condition should be “in a public document” not “in an official version”.

http://www.cidoc-crm.org/get-last-official-release lists 5.0.4, dated 2011, as the last official release.
The “Current Version” link in the website sidebar lists version 6.2.3.
And the top most link in the home page under What’s New, refers to the upload of 6.2.6.
And http://www.cidoc-crm.org/versions-of-the-cidoc-crm lists 6.2.1 as the most recent published version, and the most recent published RDFS file.

So I believe that it is entirely reasonable for people to be confused as to which identifiers are stable and which are not, and thus we should treat the assignment of a number to a class or property as final. While in draft, it can be xxx as per our typical practice.

Rob