[Crm-sig] Reuse identifiers of obsolete entities never published

Vincent Alamercery vincent.alamercery at ens-lyon.fr
Thu Jun 13 18:29:38 EEST 2019

Dear all,

during the SIG meeting in Paris, we added the new property "P177
assigned property type" (see
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/sites/default/files/CIDOC%20CRM_v6.2.6_Definition_esIP.pdf).

This property reuses the already given identifier of the property "P177
ends within" which has been deprecated without ever belonging to a
published version (see
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/Property/p177-ends-within/version-6.2.2 and
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/sites/default/files/CIDOC%20-%20CRM_v6.2.6_%20Amendments.pdf)

We had a little discussion on whether or not to reuse this identifier
already given. Maybe I'm picky but I'm not really comfortable with this
practice. I suggest never to reuse an identifier for the following
non-exhaustive reasons:

  * Even it's highly not recommended to use a draft version of CIDOC
    CRM, an entity exists from the moment it appears on a public
    document. It could then be potentially used by anyone. In a given
    namespace, an identifier must have to be unique.
  * For documentation reason, it's easier to have unique identifiers too
    to avoid speaking of "the old P177" or "the new P177". For instance,
    in the issue #345, how to know of which P177 property we are talking
    about? Think "the new P177" could be deprecated too one day...:
    http://www.cidoc-crm.org/Issue/ID-345-properties-having-domain-or-range-deprecated-classes
  * Numbers are infinite, we don't need to save them. ;-)

Best regards,

Vincent.

--
Vincent Alamercery