[Crm-sig] SOC: auction bid as proposal of an obligation?

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Thu Jun 13 18:21:37 EEST 2019

Dear all,

Continuing the thinking about Obligations, it seems that a bid in an Auction is the activity of proposing a potential Obligation, that might then be accepted or not.

If I bid $1000 for a painting, I am committing to paying that amount of money to fulfill an obligation that _would_ be part of the exchange of money for the painting, if it is the highest bid.
The Contract then consists of the proposed obligation of delivery of the painting, and the winning bid’s proposed obligation.

Thus it seems like it should be possible to have Obligations that are created outside of a Contract Agreement, and then later added into an agreement.

Instead of Contracts necessarily initializing the Obligations, they could simply require them to be fulfilled, and they could be created outside of any formal Contract.

Rob