[Crm-sig] Help wanted - Understanding P120 versus P183

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jul 17 22:04:11 EEST 2019

Dear Robert,

P120 belongs to Allen's logic, which is deprecated. Allen's logic
assumes exact endpoints in time, whereas P183 makes the fuzzy zone
explicit. As such, P120 only coincides with P183 if the fuzziness is
zero. Therefore, P183 is more general than P120.

Following CRMgeo, only declarative time spans can have precise endpoints
in time. In reality, they occur in plans, administrational decisions,
artificial constraints of focus and queries.

Since Allen's terms are useful for archaeology, but not with exact
endpoints in time, the respective terms should be reintroduced in
CRMarcheo extended by fuzzy boundaries.

Indeed, transitivity was not mentioned explicitly and should be added in
the scope note (issue!)

All the best,

  Email:martin at ics.forth.gr
  Web-site:http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl