[Crm-sig] Object containership shortcuts?

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Jul 9 22:19:48 EEST 2019

Dear Robert,

That is one idea. The question is actually, if it is only containers
that carry things around. My computer has a hard disk in it, but also
the "bears feature" is nothing else than indirectly referring to the
object as a place.

Another question is, why we do have "P8 took place on or within", which
"...describes the location of an instance of E4 Period with respect to
an E19 Physical Object. P8 took place on or within (witnessed) is a
shortcut of the more fully developed path from ‘E4 Period’ through ‘P7
took place at’, ‘E53 Place’, ‘P156i is occupied by’, to ‘E18 Physical
Thing’"

...and not another "Pxxx is located on or within" . One could either
introduce that or give up both in favor of the IsA. We had however in
CRMSci concerns if all physical things qualify to define a spatial
reference frame, if they are too plastic. On the other side, their
extent is always a spatial confinement, even without being able to mark
relative positions within them, e.g., an Amoeba having swallowed some algae.

  Following CRMgeo, instances of Place do only exist as long as their
reference object exists. It cannot be otherwise. Only spacetime points
are absolute in the universe, because they exist only for their instant
of time, and do not cause problems of spatial reference systems moving
in different directions.

Indeed, the question of being "on" is an interesting one. It should be
interpreted as being adjacent to the surface. Imagine a young bock in
the hunter's rucksack, limbs protruding: Is it in, or on, or in and on?

In order to avoid such ambiguities, I would rather stick to a notion of
adjacency, in case of things. If we use IsA, then "bears feature'
becomes superfluous, but we need to check the implications of
topological relations with other places, such as  places within such places.

If you just declare containers and gravity-bound storage features to be
IsA place, you avoid the more general questions.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr