[Crm-sig] Object containership shortcuts?

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Tue Jul 9 19:49:47 EEST 2019

Thank you Martin.

Having the same instance be both the physical thing and the place that the physical thing is the reference for is interesting. It certainly cuts out the mostly unnecessary entities.

Given that Place and Human-Made Object only intersect at E1, there doesn’t seem to be any significant confusion by having a new class that’s a sub class of both E22 and E53. It could be called a Container.

There’s some weirdness about partitioning of the physical, and how that relates to the positional, but so far nothing that produces inconsistency that wouldn’t also be inconsistent with the fully expressed path. For example, a desk with drawers is a Container, that has parts which are Containers. The place-ness of the desk and drawers are not necessarily also partitioned in the same way, which is fine – we might consider only the top of the desk as the place that it defines, which would be distinct from the drawers.  Equally, if we took the drawer out of the desk and put it on top, we would not have part of the place being contained within itself.

It means that the place is destroyed along with the object … but that’s not bad either. Without the reference system of the object, the place no longer has any meaning.  It does get a little strange with former_or_current_location – the former location is a thing that has been destroyed – but that’s indeed what has happened.

Could we have another RDFS join class - E22_E53_Container ?

Rob