[Crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: Attribute Assignment of .1 properties

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Tue Dec 3 20:20:19 EET 2019

Dear all,

With the addition of P177 assigned property type, we can associate a relationship with an Attribute Assignment. This is wonderful, as it lets us be clear about the relationship that the attribute assignment is expressing.
However, some properties are 3-tuples, as expressed in the first order logic, with a .1 property that qualifies the relationship further.  We currently cannot add the qualifier to the attribute assignment when using a property that allows these, and to be able to do so would be very beneficial.

To project the example of P14 into an Attribute Assignment:

Example:
  The painting of the Sistene Chapel (E7) was carried out by Michaelangelo Buonaroti (E21) in the role of master craftsman (E55).

A very typical attribution of which most organizations have many instances.

An Attribute Assignment could look like:

<aa1> a E13_Attribute_Assignment ;
  P140_assigned_attribute_to [
        a E7 Activity ;
        rdfs:label “Painting of the Sistene Chapel Activity” ] ;
  P141_assigned [
        a E21_Person ;
        rdfs:label “Michaelangelo Buonaroti” ] ;
  P177_assigned_property_type <P14_carried_out_by> ;
  Pxxx_assigned_property_of_property_type [
      a E55_Type ;
      rdfs:label “master craftsman” ] .

Or some other less verbose name for the new property.

Many thanks for your consideration, fellow SIG-folks.

Rob