[Crm-sig] New Issue: Re-label E22, E25, E71 to remove "Man-"

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Apr 24 20:15:23 EEST 2019

Dear Melanie,

I totally respect and like your position, but here I have been
misunderstood completely:

I meant the discussion about gender neutral language may distract from
discussing how to deal in reality with men and women not only as equals,
but in deep mutual respect and actually doing it. Using "politically
correct" language is not per se respecting, but just silencing.

I was impressed by
https://www.amazon.de/Respekt-Heimweh-Menschlichkeit-Renan-Demirkan/dp/3451304589/ref=sr_1_14?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=demirkan&qid=1556125961&s=gateway&sr=8-14

For German readers, she explains the difference between tolerance and
respect.

See for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether

"As one of the leading mathematicians of her time, she developed the
theories of rings <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(mathematics)>,
fields <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)>, and algebras
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra_over_a_field>. In physics,
Noether's theorem <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether%27s_theorem>
explains the connection between symmetry
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry_in_physics> and conservation
laws <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_law_(physics)>.^[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether#cite_note-neeman_1999-5>"
^
"In 1932 Emmy Noether and Emil Artin
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Artin> received the
Ackermann–Teubner Memorial Award
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann%E2%80%93Teubner_Memorial_Award>
for their contributions to mathematics.[70]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether#cite_note-72> The prize
included a monetary reward of 500 Reichsmarks
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Reichsmark> and was seen as a
long-overdue official recognition of her considerable work in the field.
Nevertheless, her colleagues expressed frustration at the fact that she
was not elected to the Göttingen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6ttingen_Academy_of_Sciences>
(academy of sciences) and was never promoted to the position of
Ordentlicher Professor[71]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether#cite_note-FOOTNOTEDick198172–73-73>[72]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKimberling198126–27-74>
(full professor).[34]"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether#cite_note-FOOTNOTEDick1981188-36>

Her work is foundational to modern physics. Nevertheless, I have not
heard her name in my studies at the university. I heard that her work
was later partially attributed to male successors.

The CRM is intended to be factual. Representing provenance of knowledge
may be a method to reveal such things. Replacing man-made by human-made
is not.
^^
^
Inclusivity is definitely a goal of the model, and an ethical discussion
is not a distraction from "work".:-)

Anyway, I'll send out the Vote. By the way, any SIG member can issue a
call for vote.^

Cheers,

Martin

  Email:martin at ics.forth.gr