[Crm-sig] New Issue: Re-label E22, E25, E71 to remove "Man-"

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Apr 12 20:47:50 EEST 2019

Dear All,

I would like to stay neutral in this issue. Personally, I do not believe
that changing language is the way to make sure we respect men and women
equally and give them equal chances, and it gives me a taste of
distracting from what should be discussed. Therefore I am not happy
about it.

I have the impression that even the etymology given in wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_(word) is not complete. As a German
speaker, I distinguish between "Mann" (male) and "Mensch" (human), and I
suspect that the English "man" is actually a derivative of both,
rendering it a homonym.  Homonymity would not imply a bias.

In Italian, French, Spanish the Latin term "vir" for adult male actually
got lost in favor of derivatives of "homo" (human). Would be interesting
to learn if this was actually connected with an increasing male
domination or not, or if being "vir" became unimportant.

Man-Made appeared to me a good, established term, and we prefer
established terms.

In German, we rendered it as "artificial object".

Asian languages such as Chinese and Japanese do not have default gender
at all. Much better.
Anyway, if some people think it makes a difference...

Cheers,

Martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr