[Crm-sig] New Issue: Re-label E22, E25, E71 to remove "Man-"

George Bruseker bruseker at ics.forth.gr
Fri Apr 12 14:45:28 EEST 2019

Dear all,

I think there is a distinction to be made in the question of whether the
language is in fact biased and whether it is perceived as biased. While
I would agree with Pierre that there are arguments to be made that it is
not in fact exclusive language in principle (and valid counterarguments
to be sure), it is in fact taken by many as being biased and exclusive.
This in itself makes it exclusive and this is unnecessary and unwanted.

Since a label in the ontology is just a label, and our intention with
the label in this case is to give a heuristic to the ontology user in
order to point towards non-naturally generated objects (man made object
as we have said to now), I think that dropping 'man' from 'man made',
does not impede this functionality.

Removing this part of the label, however, can remove an unintended
impression of gender bias. This seems to be a functional gain that is
compatible with the spirit of CIDOC CRM (view neutral by nature).

Between 'made' and 'human made', I would lean to the latter. 'Made
Object' is already at the limit of understandability in English (it also
has some unintended connotations of Mafia language). I think maybe
'human made', while sounding awkward in present day English, may be the
direction that everyday language will go anyhow. 'Humankind' sounds very
natural and more inclusive than 'mankind' certainly. The adjectival form
will also follow.

Another concern is how problematic would the translation be. Checking
the translations I could find, I did not find a major problem, but it is
something to take into consideration.

A serious technical and cost concern for users of CRM would be that
existing data encoded with the old URIs will now be incompatible with
this new label. That is a significant trade off.

Finally, there is another class (E24) that includes man made. Added
below.

E22 Ανθρωπογενές Αντικείμενο
E24 Ανθρωπογενές Υλικό Πράγμα
E25 Ανθρωπογενές Μόρφωμα
E71 Ανθρωπογενές Δημιούργημα

E22-人造物件 (Man-Made Object)
E24-人造实体物 (Physical Man-Made Thing)
E25-人造外貌表征 (Man-Made Feature)
E71-人造物 (Man-Made Thing)

E71 Künstliches
E22 Künstlicher Gegenstand
E24 Hergestelltes
E25 Hergestelltes Merkmal

I, in any case, think it is probably worth making the change -unless the
costs to users in real terms is exorbitant - since the existing label
can be perceived to be biased and this is wholly unintended by the
community which aims to be both neutral and inclusive.

Best,

George