[Crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: symbolic content

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 15:11:52 EEST 2018

Right, so we are defining a new CRM property, with domain E90 Symbolic Object and range E62 String.  Agreed?  I suggest that we call it "Pxxx has string value" to make its purpose clearer.

E62 String is defined more widely than the strings we are currently considering: it includes "bitmaps, vector graphics, etc.".  Is this a matter of concern?  My own initial thought is that the scope note for Pxxx in the CRM document should be as generic as the definition of E62, so they are mutually compatible, something like:

This property contains the symbolic content of the Symbolic Object, expressed as an E62 String.  The "level of symbolic specificity" by which the String is interpreted should conform to the type of the Symbolic Object.

Then we could have Rob's examples.

Once this simple property is in place in the CRM, we can update the RDF implementation guidelines to indicate that in the RDF environment we represent the E62 String values, which are the object of a Pxxx_has_string_value property/predicate, as a subclass of rdf:value.

Or ... maybe we might choose another RDF(S) property.  I forget the details of our previous discussions, but there is rdfs:Literal and rdfs:langString, either of which we could use.  Ideally, we should in general choose RDF implementations which conform nicely to our abstract distinction between E60 Number, E61 Time Primitive and E62 String.

I'm keen that we resolve the simple case of string values, because I think that will solve 90+% of our users' actual needs.  However, I'm equally keen that we don't do it in a way which makes it harder to deal with bitmaps, graphics, and indeed more complex values such as measurements (e.g. 3' 6") in RDF.

Thanks,

Richard