[Crm-sig] Question about CRMArcheo and its completion

Christian-Emil Smith Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Tue Sep 18 14:21:12 EEST 2018

Dear all,

I participate in an archeological infrastructure project (financed by the Norwegian Research Council) for data from archaeological excavations in Norway. The objectives is to link datasets form excavations, museum collections and archives. My task is to plan the use of CIDOC-CRM and possibly CRMArcheo as semantic glue.

In Norway the Swedish system Intrasis  (http://www.intrasis.com/) is a de facto standard and most excavations use the same template.

My assumption is that the information in an intrasis-instance can easily be mapped to CRM/CRMArcheo.  To verify this I have started a close reading of CRMArcheo. To my surprise, the CRMArcheo( 1.4.5) is more unfinished than I had got the impression of. I will not go in detail here, just mention a few deficits; Properties Ap8 to AP21 have no examples. Scope note of A6 is formulated as one single sentence 9 lines long and not ending in a full stop. Many examples refer to illustrations in literature,  a few are shown in the beginning but the rest can only be found in the literature

Is there a CRMArcheo team I can send my review?

Best,

Christian-Emil?