[Crm-sig] ISSUE: representing compound name strings

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:47:02 EET 2018

Action from the SIG meeting to send information about partitioning of names:

Personal Names:

MARC has three subfields for name, in the bibliographic USMARC:
   https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd100.html
   Which has a lot of name fields, but also a lot of related things to a name (such as date of a work in subfield f)

And the equivalent in MODS, for the type of namePart:
    https://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/userguide/name.html#namepart
    given, family, date, and termsOfAddress

In the Getty AAT vocabulary, we have the following types of names
  http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATHierarchy?find=&logic=AND&note=&subjectid=300266386

Which include both type of the complete name (e.g. noms de guerres) and parts of names (middle name).
And name related concepts generally
    http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATHierarchy?find=&logic=AND&note=&page=1&subjectid=300404653

Which includes prefix/suffix/title and similar.

Place Names:

For places, we have looked at the FGDC endorsed standard:
    https://www.fgdc.gov/fgdc-news/fgdc-endorses-address-data-standard
    https://www.fgdc.gov/standards/projects/address-data

Which is … comprehensive, to say the least.  We then cherry-picked the bits that we thought most useful, given the level of data description that we need for cultural heritage purposes.

Rob