[Crm-sig] ISSUE: representing compound name strings

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Nov 22 19:47:24 EET 2018

Dear Richard, Robert,

It is simply wrong that encoding structured data into an rdfs:Literal
makes it invisible to SPARQL. It is exactly what xsd:dateTime does. The
year, month, etc., is available to querying individually in SPARQL, not
by magic but by a standard extension mechanism. It is a question to IT
experts to tell us how to upload into the SPARQL code the respective
string functions for other compounds. If we decide one standard way to
encode the person name compounds, that would be quite feasible.
Interoperability is in any case given with a trivial mapping, because
standard SPARQL recognizes any custom datatype. Of course we would also
provide standard string functions to take the compound apart. For this
discussion we need a completely informed decision.

We must really be more aware how badly current RDF platforms still
perform with longer property paths. There are *good reasons* why time,
geometry and others are not encoded with rdf properties.

The first question we have to answer is A) how many compounds we need
that must be queried component-wise. Then we should find B) the*best XML
representation regardless *platforms. Then we discuss C) how that should
go into RDFS.

I propose for A):

1) miles-yards.... American Standard Lengths "A mile is *exactly
1.609344* kilometers. Yes, the mile has a metric
<https://www.mathsisfun.com/measure/metric-length.html> definition."
(https://www.mathsisfun.com/measure/us-standard-length.html)

2) Person Name compounds,

3) Street address compounds

I propose for B)

  2) following either TEI or RDA guidlines. I do not propose to use MARC
tags as is. The translation into XML elements is trivial syntactic sugar
(and exists, I think). The relevant question is, if the *analysis is
effective or not.

*I propose for C)*

*to find out if anybody has solved the problem already. *

*So, does anybody propose a good-practice analysis of name compounds?

**

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr