[Crm-sig] Issue 347 Dimension

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Nov 15 23:41:31 EET 2018

Dear Robert,

> Some scoping questions, that might be obvious or might help clarify
> the discussion…
>
> The National Fire Protection Association is responsible for the safety
> diamond, that has Health (blue), Flammable (red) and Reactivity
> (yellow) ratings for the sample or area, each of which is measured
> from 0-4.   This seems like a quantified numeric value with a
> particular unit.  Is that then a Dimension, like:
>
> _:x a Dimension ;
>
>   P2_has_type <health safety> ;
>
>   P90_has_value 3 ;
>
>   P91_has_unit <nfpa_unit> .

I'd argue this can not be measured by calibrated means. hence it is not
a Dimension, but a set of types, no matter that they are decorated with
numbers.

> Color can be measured, but to be useful has three component parts.
> Pure red could be expressed as 256 red, 0 green, 0 blue.  A type of
> redness, a value of 256, and a unit of hexademical color proportion
> (e.g. as per
> https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/REC-css-color-3-20180619/#rgb-color or the
> standard for sRGB)
>
> This would be most usefully expressed as a partitioning of an overall
> color dimension.  This would be a second example of dimension
> partitioning to go along with non decimal unit systems (feet and
> inches, etc.) or currencies (florins, etc).

Yes, sure, valid. To be discussed in Berlin. Each custom datatype needs
a syntax, and string function to take it apart. This should come from
other communities that have solved the issue. Then we import this.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr