[Crm-sig] Issue 383 Homework

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Nov 9 19:34:53 EET 2018

Dear Robert,

> Thank you for pushing this forward, Martin!
>
> Quantification wise, I would be in favor of 0,1 : 0,1.

I prefer 0,1:0,n or 0,n:0,n

> If the structure of the set of symbols changed, then it would be a
> different symbolic object according to my understanding of E90:
>
> >  … identifiable symbols and any aggregation of symbols …  that have an
> objectively recognizable structure and
>
> that are documented as single units.

Correct. The question is, if we encounter different representations, for
instance one giving a text "hello world" in Latin 1, and another in
ASCII, but the E90 instance is of type Latin characters only, or if you
write my name DOERR or DÖRR, both regarded by German authorities as
identical variants representing the "Umlaut" OE or Ö.  Of course, in
that case, having both representations would be redundant. In that case,
0:n is more tolerant.
Another opinion being, that one string is enough to define the E90.
Then, 0,1.

> Similarly, if the same string was used by different Symbolic Objects,
> then it seems like they would actually be the same symbolic object (or
> you would instead use two strings with the same data).

This is a long debated question. In most cases, this appears as
reasonable, but we do have cases in which the identity of the E90, seen
as a message in the sense of Claude Shannon, is bound to the "sender".
Discussing the sense of E35 Title, it appears that we cannot take the
identity of the Title detached from the thing it was given to. This
creates a precedent for the latter interpretation.

As a general principle, a 1:1 dependency is a thing subject to the
suspicion of a hidden identity. To be on the safe side, I would rather
not identify the E90 with the content model.

Two strings with the same data to be different is a (good)
implementation choice of RDF, which assigns the identity to the link
rather to the string, exactly in order to distinguish where the message
comes from. If two strings with the same data are regarded as different,
then we have actually a 0,x:0,n model in the ontology.

> (And in the RDF projection this makes no difference, as literal values
> do not have their own separate identity)
>
> For the examples, I would replace the Little Red Riding Hood example
> with one that is complete, to avoid confusion with the scope note
> requirement of being represented completely.
>
> How about:
>
> >  The Accession Number (E42) of the J. Paul Getty Museum’s “Abduction of
> Europa” (E22) _/has symbolic content/_ “95.PB.7“

Good!

> And for the file question, do you mean that the symbolic object is the
> MS Word file, which has a representable set of (binary) symbols,

No

> or that the symbolic object is text which is incorporated within the
> file, but not verbatim (as the characters in the (e.g.) paragraph are
> likely to be represented in the file using very a different structure).

Right.

Best,

martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr