[Crm-sig] New Issue: dimension intervals

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Nov 7 18:10:35 EET 2018

Dear All.

Continuing issue 363,

I propose the following:

"Whereas the CRM regards that intervals of primitive values are
primitive values by themselves, there is currently no corresponding
practice in RDF. Therefore, in analogy to the properties of E52
Time-Span, we define in CRM RDFS two more subproperties of P90 has
value: “P90a_has_lower_value_limit” and “P90b_has_upper_value_limit”.
The precise guidelines for using these properties are to be given."

Sensor arrays, more and more in use, pose the issue of a single
measurement resulting in an array of numbers which altogether form one
quantitative statement about the observed. We can describe such
structures easily as one complex type of unit (and define an IRI for
it), and then regard the value to a matrix of numbers, in which each
position obeys subunits as defined in the complex unit type.

Even if we regard complex matrices of numbers as one value for an
instance of E54 Dimension, such as RGB image, we can argue that minimal
and maximal values exist as two separate matrices of the same structure.

Consequently I propose to deprecate P83, P84, because in competes with
an interval interpretation of P90, and :

Introduce instead Pxxx had duration, Domain: E52 <#_E52_Time-Span>
Time-Span, Range: E54 <#_E54_Dimension> Dimension
and use the P90, P90a, P90b as adequate

or introduce  an Exxx Temporal Duration , subclass of E54 Dimension, and
define subproperties in RDFS ending in xsd:duration.

See:

      P83 had at least duration (was minimum duration of)

Domain:E52 <#_E52_Time-Span> Time-Span

Range:E54 <#_E54_Dimension> Dimension

Quantification:one to one (1,1:1,1)

Scope note:This property describes the minimum length of time covered by
an E52 Time-Span.

It allows an E52 Time-Span to be associated with an E54 Dimension
representing it’s minimum duration (i.e. it’s inner boundary)
independent from the actual beginning and end.

Examples:

§the time span of the Battle of Issos 333 B.C.E. (E52) /had at least
duration/ Battle of Issos minimum duration (E54) /has/ /unit//(P91)/ day
(E58) /has value (P90)/ 1 (E60)

In First Order Logic:

P83(x,y) ⊃E52(x)

P83(x,y) ⊃E54(y)

      P84 had at most duration (was maximum duration of)

Domain:E52 <#_E52_Time-Span> Time-Span

Range:E54 <#_E54_Dimension> Dimension

Quantification:one to one (1,1:1,1)

Scope note:This property describes the maximum length of time covered by
an E52 Time-Span.

It allows an E52 Time-Span to be associated with an E54 Dimension
representing it’s maximum duration (i.e. it’s outer boundary)
independent from the actual beginning and end.

Examples:

§the time span of the Battle of Issos 333 B.C.E. (E52) /had at most
duration/ Battle of Issos maximum duration (E54) /has unit/ /(P91)/day
(E58) /has value (P90)/ 2 (E60)

In First Order Logic:

P84(x,y) ⊃E52(x)

P84(x,y) ⊃E54(y)