[Crm-sig] HW S11

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Mar 30 22:11:16 EEST 2018

Dear All,

Here my proposal for a better scope note:

      S11 Amount of Matter[1]

Subclass of: S10 <#_S10_Material_Substantial> Material Substantial

Superclass of:S12 <#_S12_Amount_of> Amount of Fluid

S13 <#_S13_Sample> Sample

Scope note:This class comprises fixed amounts of matter specified as
some air, some water, some soil, etc., defined by the total and
integrity of their material content. In order to be able to identify and
recognize in practice one instance of S11 Amount of Matter, some sort of
confinement is needed that serves as a constraint for the enclosed
matter and the integrity of the content, such as a bottle. In contrast
to instances of E18 Physical Thing, no stability of form is required.
The content may be put into another bottle without loosing its identity.
Subclasses may define very different identity conditions for the
integrity of the content, such as chemical composition, or the sequence
of layers of a bore core. Whereas an instance of E18 Physical Thing may
gradually change form and chemical composition preserving its identity,
such as living beings, an instance of S11 Amount of Matter may loose its
identifying features by such processes. What matters for the identity of
an instance of S1 Amount of Matter is the preservation of a relevant
composition from the initial state of definition on.