[Crm-sig] ISSUE: E13 Attribute Assignment

Maximilian Schich maximilian at schich.info
Sat Mar 24 18:15:05 EET 2018

Dear Martin,

My "recommendation" was just putting into question an aspect of
Florian's suggestion, and not meant to replace it in a final way.

Regarding your points: The practical cases I am familiar with would use
the E13 on the whole triple, i.e. the link/property-type including a
specific source node and a particular target node. This means either the
triple is stored as a quad, or the triple carries an ID or address, so
one can refer to it. TEI standoff markup would be another practical example.

As an art historian/archaeologist and hopeless class-conceptualist, I do
not believe in trusted sources. Everything comes with a probability. :)

a) Self-description is of course never perfect, yet depends on the
density of information: A signature, as in "Martin performed
Attr.Ass.512" or "A[lbrecht] D[ürer] fecit" is only one form of
(self-)descriptive information, which is as good or bad as anything
else, internal or external. Of course, it is better to see Dürer in
detail or to hear Anne-Sophie Mutter actually play, rather than relying
on a verbal statement of attribution.

b) I don't understand: Any graph-like description of a graph constitutes
a forest of graphs with the original graph, i.e. a disconnected graph
that contains the description of itself. If we generalize that statement
to symbolic representation, you are in essence saying description is
impossible.

c) I think in most cases "description within a set of information about
its provenance" is the only thing we have. There is no default up the
next source of source. Evolutionary biologists, material scientists, art
historians working on renaissance drawings, and scholars of ancient
manuscripts all rely on hysteresis, i.e. history of the object contained
within the object. There never was a comprehensive DNS for organisms,
manuscript fragments, or paintings, and there never will be. For the
same reason we need to embed provenance in our data sets. Probably we
should even block-chain it in with enough information, so we don't have
to rely on simple signatures.

*/To make my case much more simple and short: "All of Wikipedia includes
the full edit-history". /*This is how it is produced, and how it should
be analyzed. The same standard should apply to any cultural heritage
data set. Any other practice would be like citing monographs without
pagination. This is why E13 is really central, particularly in
multi-authored data sets.

On 2018-03-24 15:01, Martin Doerr wrote:
> Dear Maximilian,
>
> This makes sense to me, but I do not agree with your recommendation as
> a general rule.
>
> There is a fundamental epistemological problem, which has nothing to
> do with quantitative evidence. The latter,
> by the way, cannot detect an endless recursion anyhow, because people
> would break it.
>
> The ramifications of this breaking are huge, as can be seen by your
> answer.
>
> Let us start with a more fundamental construct, a simple
> CRM-compatible "knowledge graph" with one attribute:
>
> "Martin" has residence "Heraklion".
>
> Using an E13,
> "Martin" performed "Attr.Ass.512". has type: "has residence"
> assigned: "Heraklion"
> assigned to: "Martin"
> now reading it, I know the knowledge graph wants to make me believe
> who said "has residence", but I do not know, who introduced these
> three more attributes.
> So, I reify the three new attributes with 9 more, and I am still not
> wiser, nor will I be with any other iteration of it.
>
> If I know that the knowledge graph *was produced by Martin as a
> trusted source as a whole*, I do not need the E13 in it.
>
> Then, I can add metadata to the whole knowledge graph, e.g., as a
> Named Graph or "context" or on paper etc. , but I am
> still in the same situation: who produced these metadata, are they
> trusted?
>
> Hence, I conclude three things:
>
> a) There is no completely self-descriptive information. The trusted
> source ("sender of the message" in Claude Shannon's sense) lies
> outside the information unit. It must always be the default. In order
> to characterize the default, we need semantics  different from E13.
>
> b) It makes no sense to describe the default in the graph itself.
>
> c) Any description within a set of information about its provenance
> pushes the level where the default applies up to the next source of
> source. Hence, if a team decides to register actions of their members,
> the team as a whole pushes the default up to the trust in the
> registration, rather than in the primarily registered. I see all you
> examples as practices of this kind. There may be many reasons to do
> this, but in other cases also not to do it.
>
> Such a rule cannot replace understanding the basic epistemology, which
> is always the same.
>
> Does that make sense:-)?
>
> All the best,
>
> Martin
>

> On 3/24/2018 12:10 PM, Maximilian Schich wrote:
>>
>> Dear Florian and all,
>>
>> Based on quantitative evidence, I'd object to the following to part of your suggestion:
>>
>> "This fact must not individually be registered for all instances of properties provided by the maintaining team, because it*/would result in an endless recursion/*  of whose opinion was the description of an opinion."

> [...]

*Dr. Maximilian Schich*
Associate Professor, Arts & Technology
Founding member, The Edith O'Donnell Institute of Art History

*/The University of Texas at Dallas/*
800 West Campbell Road, AT10
Richardson, Texas 75080 – USA
US phone: +1-214-673-3051