[Crm-sig] ISSUE Recording an E41 in RDF

Jim Salmons jim.salmons at factminers.org
Wed Jan 17 01:42:01 EET 2018

Richard and SIG members,

On 16/01/2018, Richard Light wrote [rest of thread snipped for brevity]:

       “I have started an "issues with RDF" document, but on reflection it may be more constructive to make it into a first attempt at the guidance I am asking for.  I'll spend this afternoon pulling together material which I can easily find (e.g. the introductory comments in the RDF Schema document), and see what questions that exercise answers.”

The recent flurry of conversation relating to the interplay of #cidocCRM and #RDF is most interesting and timely, both to me personally and, I believe, to the larger SIG mission of championing our model’s utility to those who are interested but hesitant to explore and adopt it in practice.

== On the "Big Picture" Community Level... ==

1. Richard, I would be very interested to see your working document mentioned above as soon as it is available and would love to be involved in its draft evolution as I would qualify as a highly-motivated non-expert reader with good writing/editing skills.

2. I know that this mailing list is very focused on the "tight" conversations of core and significant modeling issues and their resolution. Given that wrestling with "#cidocCRM in #RDF" is itself a gnarly domain that will likely engender its own level of detailed conversation, and given that the SIG is currently having an in-person meeting on current issues and future directions, might it be appropriate, via the energy and interest at the current meeting, to form a Working Group on this topic and spawn its own mailing list with a charter to explore this topic and come back to the full SIG with draft documents (e.g. the afore-mentioned "primer") and recommendations in response to its charter? If such a working group were to be formed, I would very much like to be involved.

Putting on my "marketing hat" for a moment, I believe that the better we address #cidocCRM in #RDF, especially in terms of practical and example-based documentation and learning materials, that this will be the most important initiative we can take at this time to advance the adoption of the #cidocCRM in deployed and new #LOD systems/collections.

     Happy-Healthy Vibes to All and a Happy New Year,
     -: Jim:-

    www.researchgate.net/profile/Jim_Salmons
    www.medium.com/@Jim_Salmons/ (my #CognitiveComputing/#DigitalHumanities articles)

P.S. As a postscript, I provide these comments with regard to my own personal learning and research experience...

== Optional on my Personal Interest in #cidocCRM & #RDF ==

At a personal level, some in the SIG know that I am a U.S.-based independent (and untrained) #CitizenScientist working my post-cancer #PayItForward Bonus Rounds to contribute my best efforts at the intersection of #DigitalHumanities and #CognitiveComputing. As a “software guy” I spent the bulk of my career as a Smalltalk developer and was particularly active during the initial wave of the software patterns movement. I was drawn to the #cidocCRM through my desire to apply ideas for metamodel-driven design of “self-descriptive executable model” frameworks from my prior Smalltalk work. I want to apply these ideas to my research that takes advantage of the emerging technology of graph databases. As a “pure OOP” Smalltalker, I had a “knee-jerk” reaction of disinterest in #RDF as its level of detail in notation reminded me too much of what we “pure OOPers” felt about the object-orientedness of C++ and Java.

I have been using Neo4j’s property graph database for my initial applied research but lately became disenchanted with it. As I surveyed my technology-provider options, I decided that my piqued interest in Linked Open Data warranted a reevaluation of #RDF and the available triple store products as a means to pursue my work in development of the MAGAZINE #GTS (ground-truth storage) format based on a #cidocCRM/FRBRoo/PRESSoo ontological “stack.”

I am now fully committed to redirecting my #cidocCRM-based research platform around #RDF (along w/ #TEI) primarily for these three reasons:

    *  I found Ontotext's GraphDB to be an excellent company and technology, both in its principal product and in its all-important documentation, self-driven learning resources, and its helpful tech support community.

    *  Once I was "bitten" by GraphDB, I began an intensive effort to come up to speed on #RDF through self-study and found the most incredibly-written and super-helpful book, "Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL, 2nd Edition" by Dean Allemang and James Hendler (book companion website http://www.workingontologist.org).

    *  My interest in software patterns led me to Pascal Hitzler (http://www.pascal-hitzler.de/) and the ODPA, the Association for Ontology Design & Patterns and their website at http://ontologydesignpatterns.org with associated Google group mailing list at this shortened URL https://goo.gl/x6MJjM. Through my initial involvement in this community, I am excited to note that I will be attending #us2ts, the 1st U.S. Semantic Technologies Symposium in early March in Dayton, Ohio. Of course I will be bringing my interest in ontology design patterns and the #cidocCRM to this event which is geared toward developing a North American cross-discipline semantic technologies research community. More information on this event is here http://us2ts.org/.

Finally, I am also pleased to note that as part of my #PayItForward Bonus Rounds I served on the Program Committee of #DATeCH2017 and my fellow cancer-survivor wife and I had two papers accepted for a poster at this event, a PDF of which is available here https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtML1v0eUlpEgoAJ_FH6CMU5luOUBA.

To those who read this optional postscript... another

    Happy-Healthy Vibes,
    -: Jim :-