[Crm-sig] ISSUE Recording an E41 in RDF

Maria Theodoridou maria at ics.forth.gr
Tue Jan 16 15:07:58 EET 2018

Dear all,

As being very much involved with mappings to the RDF implementation of
CRM I would benefit a lot from /clear guidance on the whole subject of
"implementing an RDF instantiation of the CRM"/ as Richard states.

In CAA2016 we presented some Methodological tips for mappings to CIDOC
CRM and among others we (a.k.a. Martin) claim the following:

        4.2    Common database fields: Appellations
        The RDF class rdfs:label and CRM class E41 Appellation are
        alternative implementations for the same concept in RDF, a
        human-readable name for the subject. So, for simplicity, when
        mapping contemporary names into RDF, we suggest the use of
        rdfs:label  tagged with a language attribute. The use of the E41
        Appellation class is required only if there is need to assign
        some additional properties to the Appellation such as properties
        of use or attribution.

        Instances of E41 Appellation “/are cultural constructs; as such,
        they have a context, a history, and a use in time and space by
        some group of users./” and thus E41 Appellation is appropriate
        for historical names.

Since then, I got several times questions related to this issue and
apparently there are a few ways to deal with it. One recent e-mail
mentioned "we were advised to use E55_Type > P1_is_indentified_by >
E41_Appellation > P3_has_note > E62_String" and I was asked if this is
the way to go.

If I am not wrong, the different ways to approach this was the main
(probably the only) incompatibility between the Helculaneum data and
WissKI data in Tiblisi. George knows the details.

Looking forward to official guidelines,

Best
Maria

On 16/1/2018 1:12 πμ, Richard Light wrote:

> On 15/01/2018 19:52, Martin Doerr wrote:
>> Right. We have often discussed it, but I am not sure if we have
>> written a guideline, and it is not in the right place, or if we have
>> only exchanged e-mails about it.
>> I put is as an issue, in case its new. The point is that we cannot
>> make rdf label a subproperty of p1.
> More generally, I would argue that there should be clear guidance on
> the whole subject of "implementing an RDF instantiation of the CRM".
> I was very pleased with the guidance for recording dates which we
> recently worked on, and assumed that was just an outlier which had
> been missed up to now.  If we are seriously expecting implementors to
> produce RDF solutions which embody the CRM, we must provide them with
> comprehensive and specific guidance - maybe a range of implementation
> options.  In my understanding of it, the problem areas are mostly at
> the "sharp end" where the actual data comes in.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Richard
>
>> best,
>>
>> martin
>>
>> On 1/15/2018 6:33 PM, Richard Light wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It's perhaps telling that I even have to ask this question at this
>>> stage in the game.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how to encode a person's name in RDF in a CRM-compliant
>>> manner.  It's an E41 Appellation, and is linked to the person by a
>>> P1_is_identified_by property, I'm assuming.  So far, so good.
>>>
>>> However, it looks as though I have the choice of not stating that it
>>> is an E41, or of connecting the E41 to its string value via a
>>> property which is nowhere defined in the CRM:
>>>
>>>     freeukgen:b65432#born a crm:E21_Person;
>>>         crm:P1_is_identified_by "Light, Thomas Edward" .
>>>
>>> or:
>>>
>>>     freeukgen:b65432#born a crm:E21_Person;
>>>         crm:P1_is_identified_by [
>>>             a crm:E41_Appellation;
>>>             {has-string-value} "Light, Thomas Edward" ] .
>>>
>>> The CRM definition gives strings as examples of E41, which implies
>>> that the first form is acceptable. However, my instinct says that it
>>> is wrong to finesse the fact that it is an E41 in this way.  If the
>>> E41 /is /to be expressed, as in my second form, I would welcome
>>> advice as to what the value of "{has-string-value}" should be.
>>>
>>> Whichever approach is correct, I am struck by the absence of a
>>> primer which says, in straightforward terms, "this is how you encode
>>> CRM concepts in RDF".  If it exists and I have simply missed it,
>>> please point me in its direction and I will spread the word ...
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Richard
>>> --
>>> *Richard Light*

>> --
>>   Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(2810)391625        |
>>   Research Director             |  Fax:+30(2810)391638        |
>>                                 |  Email:martin at ics.forth.gr  |
>>                 Center for Cultural Informatics               |
> [...]

Maria Theodoridou
R & D Engineer

Information Systems Laboratory & Centre for Cultural Informatics
Science and Technology Park of Crete
Vassilika Vouton, P.O.Box 1385, GR-711 10 Heraklion, Crete, Greece

Tel.: +30-2810-391731  Fax:  +30-2810-391638  E-mail: maria at ics.forth.gr
ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-4623-9186