[Crm-sig] Recording an E41 in RDF

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 18:33:18 EET 2018

Hi,

It's perhaps telling that I even have to ask this question at this stage
in the game.

I'm not sure how to encode a person's name in RDF in a CRM-compliant
manner.  It's an E41 Appellation, and is linked to the person by a
P1_is_identified_by property, I'm assuming.  So far, so good.

However, it looks as though I have the choice of not stating that it is
an E41, or of connecting the E41 to its string value via a property
which is nowhere defined in the CRM:

    freeukgen:b65432#born a crm:E21_Person;
        crm:P1_is_identified_by "Light, Thomas Edward" .

or:

    freeukgen:b65432#born a crm:E21_Person;
        crm:P1_is_identified_by [
            a crm:E41_Appellation;
            {has-string-value} "Light, Thomas Edward" ] .

The CRM definition gives strings as examples of E41, which implies that
the first form is acceptable. However, my instinct says that it is wrong
to finesse the fact that it is an E41 in this way.  If the E41 /is /to
be expressed, as in my second form, I would welcome advice as to what
the value of "{has-string-value}" should be.

Whichever approach is correct, I am struck by the absence of a primer
which says, in straightforward terms, "this is how you encode CRM
concepts in RDF".  If it exists and I have simply missed it, please
point me in its direction and I will spread the word ...

Best wishes,

Richard
--
*Richard Light*