[Crm-sig] issue-288-AV_MD.doc

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 15:50:23 EET 2018

Hi,

Not all of my corrections were picked up. Updated version (with some
other minor changes) attached. I tried desperately to switch on 'track
changes' (saving it as .docx in an attempt to do so), but I have no idea
whether Word has actually done this.  I did try!

I wonder if it is helpful to include the paragraph about overlapping
'end of begin' and 'begin of end': the concept is already hard enough to
understand without throwing this into the mix.

As regards the substance of the proposal, I would observe that there are
other W3C date types, for example gDate and gYear [1].  I agree with the
goal of expressing dates in a way which is amenable to machine
processing, but the suggested approach appears to require users to
record to a spurious precision, which will never be present in the
source data.  (If we're following W3C guidelines in full, a DateTime
value should have an associated time zone, declared explicitly or
implicitly assumed to be UTC.  We don't actually give an example showing
this.)

I suggest, instead, that we say that when a W3C date, of whatever sort,
is given as the value of P81a or P82a, then it should be interpreted as
representing the /beginning /of the time period expressed by that date.
When such a date is given as the value of P81b or P82b, it should be
interpreted as representing the /end /of the time period expressed by
that date.  (Re-reading the text, I do wonder if this is what was
actually meant.  It depends what you mean by "the implementation". If
so, I certainly misunderstood it the first time around.)

I think the guidance should contain examples using both gYear and gDate,
showing how to record e.g. "date of birth recorded as 4.12.1854" and
"building not started before 1736; definitely happening 1745-1750;
finished by 1754 when it was opened" as RDF.

Best wishes,

Richard

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#gYear

On 10/01/2018 19:38, Martin Doerr wrote:

> Here my latest edits, thanks to Richard's comments:-)

>  Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(2810)391625        |
>  Research Director             |  Fax:+30(2810)391638        |
>                                |  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr |
>                Center for Cultural Informatics               |
>                Information Systems Laboratory                |
>                 Institute of Computer Science                |
>    Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)   |
>                N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,             |
>                 GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece               |
>              Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl           |

*Richard Light*