[Crm-sig] ISSUE 295 homework

Franco Niccolucci franco.niccolucci at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 10:30:05 EET 2018

All these examples show that the issue exist!

My opinion in short: there is of course a distinction between “hard” and “soft” copies. Hard (i.e. material) copies involve modifying matter; soft (i.e. immaterial) ones don’t. Hard copies are affected by degradation, soft ones don’t. Soft copies may be digital (e.g. music on a cd or on a hard disk) or analog (e.g. same music on vinyl) or ... (same music transcribed on music paper); hard copies are what they are.
Association of soft stuff with the hard copy is rather subjective: BA BA BA BAAAAA may correspond to the beginning of Beethoven’s 5th symphony as well as Herbert von Karajan’s & Berliner Philarmoniker Orchestra digital version now playing on my Mac. There may be a “canonical” association between the soft stuff I receive and perceive, and a (master) hard version, e.g. between the 5th symphony and Beethoven’s original manuscript kept at Staatsbibliotek Berlin. I think most of the above is addressed in FRBR and CRM uses a simplification to deal with immaterial content, as it is considered to be borderline within its scope. But sometimes (this may not be the case) oversimplification turns into confusion.

Franco

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence