[Crm-sig] ISSUE 295 homework

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jan 10 22:02:19 EET 2018

Dear Thanasi,

On 1/10/2018 1:30 PM, Athanasios Velios wrote:
> Shouldn't this:
>
> §  The Digital Collections of the Munich DigitiZation Center (MDZ)
> accessible via https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/ at least in January
> 2018.
>
> be instead:
>
> §  The group of servers (hardware) holding the Digital Collections of
> the Munich DigitiZation Center (MDZ) accessible via
> https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/ at least in January 2018.
>
> The term "Digital Collections" will not necessarily mean a physical
> thing for many readers.
Actually we do not mean the servers as a whole, but only the material
signal encoding on the media. This interpretation gives correct answers
that the collection can be destroyed, and is a "holding" in the hands of
the maintainers, i.e., physically kept, and that it can change like a
physical thing loosing its previous form.
The immaterial item would not change, reside on multiple carriers. An
update would create a new derivative, i.e., another thing, not affecting
other copies around.
The material interpretation is problematic if the content is moved
around servers.

  Another interpretation is that of a "volatile dataset" we at FORTH
used in the PARTHENOS project, which uses the logical condition that
there is only one representative version of the data object at any point
in time, regardless carrier. It updates like a material object. This may
in general create a problem, if the authority identifying the correct
representative version not clear. I tried to be neutral to this dilemma
by using the URL, which points to the physical "location", under which
the representative version will appear, and makes the storage system an
internal issue of the maintainer.

Consider a "move" of the database to another storage system and a
simultaneous update. Then, formally, neither the carrier nor the content
is the same, but it is still the same "digital library".

Note, that if I make a copy of a digital library, I get an immaterial
object, which will not be representative after the first change to the
original, without me doing anything. Hence, the digital library does not
behave like an Information Object in the sense of the CRM.

All the best,

Martin