[Crm-sig] Homework Issue 288

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 18:26:58 EET 2018

On 07/01/2018 21:34, Martin Doerr wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Here my guidelines:
>

>   Guidelines for using P82a, P82b, P81a, P82b

... should be '81a, 81b, 82a, 82b'

> Jan 7, 2018
>
> The range of properties "P81_ongoing_throughout" and
> "P82_at_some_time_within" is  defined in the CRM as E61
> <#_E61_Time_Primitive> Time Primitive, i.e., (closed, contiguous)
> intervals on the natural time dimension in which we live.
>
> Since the E61 Time Primitive of the CRM cannot directly be implemented
> in RDF databases, we define in

replace 'implemented in RDF databases' by 'expressed in RDF'

> the official RDF implementation of the CIDOC CRM four properties
> replacing P81 and P82 adequately using xsd:dateTime.
>
> Property P81 describes the maximum known temporal extent of an E52
> Time-Span, i.e. the extent it is ongoing throughout.  It is replaced
> in this RDF version by the property "P81a_end_of_the_begin"  and
> "P81b_begin_of_the_end", to be used together.
>
>  "P81a_end_of_the_begin" should be instantiated as the earliest point
> in time the user is sure that the respective temporal phenomenon is
> indeed ongoing. We call it “end_of_the_begin”, because it also
> constitutes an upper limit to the end of the indeterminacy or
> fuzziness of the begin of the described temporal phenomenon.

replace 'begin' by 'beginning' [of the described ...]

> "P81b_begin_of_the_end" should be instantiated as the latest point in
> time the user is sure that the respective temporal phenomenon is
> indeed ongoing. We call it “begin_of_the_end”, because it also
> constitutes a lower limit to the begin of the indeterminacy or
> fuzziness of the end of the described temporal phenomenon.
>
> It is correct to assign the same value to P81a_end_of_the_begin and
> P81b_begin_of_the_end, if no other positive knowledge exists. It is
> also correct not to instantiate P81 for a time span, if no respective
> evidence is known.

replace 'if ... known' by 'if there is no evidence that the event was
definitely occurring at a particular time'?

> If a respective reasoning is installed, and no evidence exists that
> the phenomenon was definitely ongoing at any point in time, one may
> use a value for P81a_end_of_the_begin greater than for
> P81b_begin_of_the_end, indicating that the indeterminacy of knowledge
> (not of being) of the begin overlaps with the indeterminacy of
> knowledge (not of being) for the end [see Christian-Emil Ore XXX].

Is it helpful to say this? Why not just leave P81 out in this situation?

> If a value for P81a_end_of_the_begin is given with a precision less
> than that of xsd:dateTime, such as in days or years, the
> implementation should “round it up” to the last instant (second) of
> this time expression, e.g. 1971 = Dec 31 1971 23:59:59. Respectively,
> if a value for P81b_begin_of_the_end is given with a precision less
> than that of xsd:dateTime, such as in days or years, the
> implementation should “round it down” to the last instant (second) of
> this time expression, e.g. 1971 = Jan 1 1971 0:00:00. If

replace 'last' by 'first'?

> values are needed that are not within the range or precision of
> xsd:dateTime, e.g., for paleontology, this property should be extended
> with another, suitable data type.
>
> Property P82 describes the narrowest known outer bounds of the
> temporal extent of an E52 Time-Span, i.e. the extent it is ongoing “at
> some time within” this interval.  It is replaced in the official RDF
> version by

delete 'the extent'

> the properties "P82a_begin_of_the_begin" and "P82b_end_of_the_end", to
> be used together.
>
> " P82a_begin_of_the_begin " should be instantiated as the latest point
> in time the user is sure that the respective temporal phenomenon is
> indeed not yet ongoing. We call it “begin_of_the_begin”, because it
> also constitutes a lower limit to the begin of the indeterminacy or
> fuzziness of the begin of the described temporal phenomenon.

replace 'ongoing' by 'happening'?; replace 'begin' by 'beginning' [of
the described ...]

> " P82b_end_of_the_end " should be instantiated as the earliest point
> in time the user is sure that the respective temporal phenomenon is
> indeed no more ongoing. We call it “end_of_the_end”, because it

replace 'no more' by 'no longer'

> also constitutes an upper limit to the end of the indeterminacy or
> fuzziness of the end of the described temporal phenomenon.
>
> It is not correct to assign the same value to P82a_begin_of_the_begin
> and P82b_end_of_the_end. If a value for P82a_begin_of_the_begin is
> given with a precision less than that of xsd:dateTime, such as in days
> or years, the implementation should “round it down” to the last
> instant (second) of this time

replace 'last' by 'first'?

> expression, e.g. 1971 = Jan 1 1971 0:00:00. Respectively, if a value
> for P82b_end_of_the_end is given with a precision less than that of
> xsd:dateTime, such as in days or years, the implementation should
> “round it up” to the last instant (second) of this time expression,
> e.g. 1971 = Dec 31 1971 23:59:59.
>
> It must always hold that the value for P82a_begin_of_the_begin is less
> than P82b_end_of_the_end, P81a_end_of_the_begin and P81b_begin_of_the_end.
>
> It must always hold that the value for P82b_end_of_the_end is greater
> than P82b_end_of_the_end,

should be 'greater than P81a_begin_of_the_begin,'

> P81a_end_of_the_begin and P81b_begin_of_the_end.
>
> P82a_begin_of_the_begin and P82b_end_of_the_end should always be
> assigned a value to for any past

delete 'to'

> phenomenon, albeit unrealistically far away from reality. It is an
> error to associate any quality of positive

replace 'albeit ... reality' by 'however approximate'

> knowledge with these values. The scholarly practice not to give any
> outer bounds for an event, because it is, for instance, not known down
> to a precision of three years, is not helpful for automated reasoning.
> In that case, the machine may regard that the event has possibly
> happened at the time of the dinosaurs.

replace 'regard ... possibly' by 'conclude that the event could have'

Hope this helps!

Richard

> Please improve.
>
> Cheers,

>  Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(2810)391625        |
>  Research Director             |  Fax:+30(2810)391638        |
>                                |  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr |
>                Center for Cultural Informatics               |
>                Information Systems Laboratory                |
>                 Institute of Computer Science                |
>    Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)   |
>                N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,             |
>                 GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece               |
>              Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl           |

*Richard Light*