[Crm-sig] HW reminder: ISSUE 346

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Sun Jan 7 20:07:39 EET 2018

Dear All,

These are the examples of E28 Conceptual Object with my explanations:

§  Beethoven’s “Ode an die Freude” (Ode to Joy) (E73)

§  the definition of “ontology” in the Oxford English Dictionary (E73)

§  the knowledge about the victory at Marathon carried by the famous
runner (E89)

     explanation: In the following examples we illustrate the
distinction between a propositional object, its names and its encoded
forms. The Maxwell equations are a good example, because they belong to
the fundamental laws of physics and their mathematical content yields
identical, unambiguous results regardless formulation and encoding.

§  ‘Maxwell equations’ [preferred subject access point from LCSH, (E41)

http://lccn.loc.gov/sh85082387, as of 19 November 2012]

      explanation: This is only the name for the Maxwell equations as
standardized by the Library of Congress

§  ‘Equations, Maxwell’ [variant subject access point, from the same
source] (E41)

    explanation: This is another name for the equation standardized by
the Library of Congress

§  Maxwell's equations (E89)

      explanation: This is the semantic content of the equations i.e.
the equations proper, regardless notation.

§ The encoding of Maxwells equations as in
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/Maxwell'sEquations.svg/500px-Maxwell'sEquations.svg.png
(E73)

    explanation: This one possible encoded form of the content of the
equations i.e. symbolic and propositional.