[Crm-sig] ISSUE: label of inverse property notation PLEASE VOTE

patrick.le-boeuf at bnf.fr patrick.le-boeuf at bnf.fr
Fri Jan 5 16:35:58 EET 2018

Dear all,
In my opinion, A and B are not just two alternative labels for one
property, between which we have to choose; they actually correspond to two
distinct properties.
A corresponds to the most common case, in which we know precisely which is
the "original" text, and which is the "translated" one. But B corresponds
to a different situation, in which all we know is that two texts convey
the same conceptual content and that most probably one is the translation
of the other, but we do not know precisely which, either for lack of
historical knowledge (you may find examples in the IFLA list of Anonymous
Classics, <
https://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/pubs/anonymous-classics_2004.pdf
>), or because there is a political or legal motivation for regarding
various linguistic expressions of a given content as perfectly equivalent
(official texts of multilingual countries, such as Switzerland, or Canada;
or supranational organizations, such as the European Union, IFLA, or ISO).
I leave it to Martin to decide whether we should have two distinct
properties or not:
- P73 has translation (is translation of) / P73i is translation of (has
translation) [a shortcut for a "long path" through an event that can be
instantiated]
- Pn has other equivalent linguistic rendition [a symmetric property, and
definitely not a shortcut: it is impossible to instantiate the translation
activity; it has necessarily existed, but we don't know whether it
happened from domain to range or from range to domain].
Best wishes,
Patrick

De :    Martin Doerr <martin at ics.forth.gr>
A :     crm-sig <Crm-sig at ics.forth.gr>
Date :  04/01/2018 16:37
Objet : [Crm-sig] ISSUE: label of inverse property notation PLEASE VOTE
Envoyé par :    "Crm-sig" <crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr>

Dear All,
Should we change in the CRM definition text together with the "i" for
inverse also the order of the two labels?:
e.g.:

A) P73 has translation (is translation of) => P73i is translation of​
(has translation)
OR
B) P73 has translation (is translation of) => P73i has translation (is
translation of) ?

PLEASE VOTE A or B.

Exposition  Paysages français – Une aventure photographique (1984 - 2017)  - du 24 octobre 2017 au 4 février 2018 - BnF - François-Mitterrand Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.