[Crm-sig] HW S11

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Apr 10 20:06:04 EEST 2018

Dear Daria,

This is a much debated question. I follow the theory of David Wiggins
(/Sameness and Substance Renewed/ (Cambridge, 2001)), which appears to
me to be consistent. There is no natural identity to something material.
We need to specify under which category we consider some matter. The
category must provide identity criteria beforehand. The same matter may
participate in different "things" of different identity. The identity
conditions of a category must serve a purpose.
The purpose is identified by a question.

So, question: "Is this an original Varsari? " could be defined in terms
of the actual matter Varsari had in his hands and the way he gave it
artistic shape, regardless later modifications. We could define the end
of existence when major parts of the paint layer are lost, or when the
last major part is lost, or latest, when the whole paint layer is lost.

This category of "original painting" would "answer": "still the same".
Another definition may be based on phases and degrees of replaced
matter. But they easily run into problems with
environmentally caused degradation and natural decay of material, which
is a continuous process. So, change of a
physical object is inevitable and continuous. It is much more prominent
in living beings.

I would associate conservation states rather with secondary features of
objects and not with their overall identity.
Again we need a definition of relevant traits separating one from the other.

I agree that physical objects can change form. This is why we talk about
"relative stability". The specific type should determine which deviation
of form is "unnatural","renders the object unusable", "destroyed" or
whatever may determine its practical end of existence and transition
into something else or disappearance.