[Crm-sig] ISSUE: Model of plans

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Mar 24 14:33:39 EET 2017

Dear All,

I propose the following:

  Class Declarations

*Activity Plan***

Subclass of:E29 Design or Procedure

Superclass of:

Scope note:This class comprises plans for some specific predefined
activities or some kinds of activities to happen. They consist of
descriptions of specific constraints, patterns or types of activities
that could be realized. They may also foresee that the planned
activities are be realized at times explicitly foreseen by the actor
intending the application of the plan, for instance, to organize a
conference, in which case we may talk about “active plans”.
Alternatively, times of realization may be foreseen in reaction to an
external kind of event foreseen by the plan, for instance a rescue
action in case of earthquake according to a rescue plan, or a penal
action in case of criminal activity according to a law, in which case we
may talk about “reactive plans”. An instance of Activity Plan does not
imply the intention of any Actor to apply it. It may be created
together, before or without the will to apply it. For instance, laws are
created before they are passed in the parliament.

Examples:

Properties:

*Intention to Apply***

Subclass of:S16 State

Superclass of:

Scope note:This class comprises the mental state of intention or wanting
to apply a particular instance of Activity Plan by a particular E39
Actor. This can be understood as the period of time that an individual
or a group holds a particular will. It binds the activity plan to the
actor. The intention to apply may be abandoned before the realization of
the plan. When the plan is realized, the intention to apply must still
exist. Characteristically, the passing of a law initiates the intention
of a parliament to apply a law. In many cases, the creation of the plan
initiates the intention to apply it, and in case of “active plans” the
realization ends the intention. Often, the existence of the intention to
apply cannot be determined other by the realization of the plan.

Examples:

Properties:

is intention of: E31 Actor

is expressed in: Expression of Intention

to apply within : E61 Time Primitive

initiated by: E7 Activity

ended by: E7 Activity

intends to apply: Activity Plan

*Expression of Intention *(may be not necessary)**

Subclass of:E31 Document

Superclass of:

Scope note:This class comprisesthe externalisation, the expression of
the Intention to Apply in the form of identifiable immaterial objects,
such as texts, that make propositions about these intentions. These are
kind of formal texts, legal documents, proceedings, minutes etc. that
document the will, the intentions of the actor.

Examples:

Properties:

  Property Declaration

      is intention of (has intention)

Domain:Intention to Apply

Range:E39 Actor

Quantification:(1,n:0,n)

Scope note:This property associates an instance of EXX Intention to
Apply an activity plan with the actors intending it.

Examples: “A Paliament regarding a law as being decided”

      is expressed in (has expression)

Domain:Intention to Apply

Range:Expression of Intention

Quantification:

Scope note:This property associates an Intention to Apply with the
externalisation of this intention (Expression) in a document.

Examples:

      to apply within

Domain:Intention to Apply

Range:E61 Time Primitive (Declarative Time-span)

Quantification:(0,n:0,n)

Scope note:This property associates an instance of EXX Intention to
Apply with a statement of the time constraint for the actual
application. This may vary with time. In case the change narrows down
the time constraint, one may regard this as being simultaneously true
and consistent. In case the new time constraint exceeds the previous one
(typically delays), we may talk about a modification of the overall
intention to apply, which could be regarded as a part of the overall
intention, which continuous to be maintained.

Examples:“Law XXX to be in force from 1.1.2018”

      initiated by (initiates)

Domain:Intention to Apply

Range:E7 Activity

Quantification:(0,1:0,n)

Scope note:This property associates the beginning of an instance of EXX
Intention to Applywith an explicit activity initiating it. Often, the
initiation of intention to apply is implicit in the creation of the
activity plan.

Examples:“Parliament XX deciding law YY”

      ended by(ends)

Domain:Intention to Apply

Range:E7 Activity

Quantification:(0,1:0,n)

Scope note:This property associates the end of an instance of EXX
Intention to Applywith an explicit activity terminating it. Often, the
termination of intention to apply is implicit in the realization of the
activity plan. In other cases, it is silently forgotten

Examples:

*realized(is realised by)***

Domain:E7 Activity

Range:Activity Plan

Quantification:(0,n:0,n)

Scope note:This property associates a particular instance of E7 Activity
which realized an Activity Plan in a way regarded as valid by the actors
intending it. (Should we require that a realization falls within the
period of intending it?)

Examples: “Getting a fine following paragraph XXX.” “I have built my
house (not me alone…)”