[Crm-sig] Issuse 260 -- homeworks

Øyvind Eide lister at oeide.no
Fri Mar 24 11:45:18 EET 2017

Dear all,

Here is my homework for Issue 260:

1. E35: Accepted the comment made by Oyvind that the scope note of E35 Title is misleading, since it refers to something functioning a title, not having the form of a title, it is decided to keep the Title, to update scope note. This HW is assigned to Oyvind

I have changed the first paragraph of the scope note

Old scope note for E35:

> This class comprises the names assigned to works, such as texts, artworks or pieces of music.
>
> Titles are proper noun phrases or verbal phrases, and should not be confused with generic object names such as “chair”, “painting” or “book” (the latter are common nouns that stand for instances of E55 Type). Titles may be assigned by the creator of the work itself, or by a social group.
>
> This class also comprises the translations of titles that are used as surrogates for the original titles in different social contexts.

Proposed new version:

“This class comprises textual strings that within a cultural context can be clearly identified as titles due to their form. Being a subclass of E41 Appellation, E35 Title can only be used when such a string is actually are used as a title of a work, such as a text, an artwork, or a piece of music.

Titles are proper noun phrases or verbal phrases, and should not be confused with generic object names such as “chair”, “painting” or “book” (the latter are common nouns that stand for instances of E55 Type). Titles may be assigned by the creator of the work itself, or by a social group.

This class also comprises the translations of titles that are used as surrogates for the original titles in different social contexts.”

—————————

2. E49 Time Appellation: to keep but it should be merged with Date and it should be decided if they keep the same name (Oyvind)

E50 Date should be marked obsolete. I have changed the inheritance, the first paragraph of the scope note, and added two examples.

Old definition of E49 Time Appellation:

> Subclass of : E41 Appellation
> Superclass of: E50 Date
>
> Scope Note:
>
> This class comprises all forms of names or codes, such as historical periods which are characteristically used to refer to a specific E52 Time-Span. This includes human- and machine readable dates and timestamps.
>
> The instances of E49 Time Appellation may vary in their degree of precision, and they may be relative to other time frames, “Before Christ” for example. Instances of E52 Time-Span are often defined by reference to a cultural period or an event e.g. ‘the duration of the Ming Dynasty’.
>
> Examples:
> 	• “Meiji” [Japanese term for a specific time-span]
> 	• “1st half of the XX century”
> 	• “Quaternary”
> 	• “1215 Hegira” [a date in the Islamic calendar]
> 	• “Last century”

New definition of E49 Time Appellation:

Subclass of : E41 Appellation

Scope Note:

This class comprises all forms of names or codes, such as historical periods, and dates, which are characteristically used to refer to a specific E52 Time-Span.

The instances of E49 Time Appellation may vary in their degree of precision, and they may be relative to other time frames, “Before Christ” for example. Instances of E52 Time-Span are often defined by reference to a cultural period or an event e.g. ‘the duration of the Ming Dynasty’.

Examples:
	• “Meiji” [Japanese term for a specific time-span]
	• “1st half of the XX century”
	• “Quaternary”
	• “1215 Hegira” [a date in the Islamic calendar]
	• “Last century”
	• “2013-10-05”
	• “Mon May 19 22:39:23 CET 2014”

Kind regards,