[Crm-sig] ISSUE: Scholarly Reading.

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Mar 23 20:10:15 EET 2017

Dear All,

I propose to start the discussion about a simplified Inference model for
the case in which the interpretation of a text as a proposition is not
questioned, but other things are questioned:

A) assertions of historical truth: We need a text with a questioned
fact, such as Nero singing in Rome when it was burning. I think Tacitus
states he was singing in Rome, and another source says he was on the
countryside.

B) Shakespeare's "love is not love" : scholarly interpretation =
translation of sense

C) Questioning provenance or authenticity of texts: In the Merchant of
Venice, place details are mentioned that only a person who was there
could have written that. Shakespeare was not allowed to travel abroad.
C1) Or, critical editions: In the first written version of Buddha's
speaches (Pali Canon), there are identifiable passages that present
past-Buddha dogmata.

I would start with A), then B), then C)

So, we first want to solve the case that the premise is a proposition,
which is not believed as such.
Rather, it is believed that the author of the text meant to express this
proposition. This implies that the premise does not make any sense
without a provenance assumption, which must be believed.

In A), the provenance of the text from Tacitus is believed. His good
will to say the truth about Nero not.
In B) The provenance "Shakespeare" back to the respective edition/name
or pseudonym/place of creation is not questioned.
In C1) The text as being that compiled following the first performance
is not questioned, but who wrote the text under the name of Shakespeare
is questioned.
In C2) The provenance of the Pali Canon edition is not questioned,
neither that its content mainly goes historically back to Buddha, but
the provenance of a paragraph is questioned.

Therefore, we could Introduce a subclass of I2 Belief i'd call
"reading", which puts the focus on believing authenticity of a
comprehensible natural language proposition relative to an explicitly
stated provenance, but does not mean believing the proposition, nor
questioning the intended meaning of the text:

J1 used as premise (was premise for) : IXX Reading

IXX Reading  subclass of I2 Belief (or a generalized Belief)

properties of IXX Reading:
    JX1 understanding : Information Object (the cited phrase,
understanding the words)
    JX2 believing provenance : I4 Proposition Set (This contains the
link from the cited phrase to the text the phrase is taken from, and all
provenance data believed. E.g. Shakespeare edition 1648(??) believed,
authorship by Shakespeare questioned, etc.)
*optional:*
    JX3 reading as : I4 Proposition Set (the translation of the cited
into triples. If absent, the interpretation of the cited phrase is
regarded to be obvious)

and J5 defaults to "true" (I believe all "J5 <#_J5_holds_to>holds to be:
I6 <#_I6_Belief_Value>Belief Value" should default to "True" if absent).

Then, a conclusion could be that the Information Object (cited phrase)
is not believed. In that case, we would need to generalize I4 to be
either a Named Graph or an unambiguous text. If we do not, we could use
JX1, JX3 to introduce the translation of the cited text as formal
proposition, and then use J5 to say "FALSE": "Nero singing in burning
Rome 18 to 24 July, 64 AD"

In the case of text sense interpretation, we would need a sort of "has
translation" construct, if not simply a work about another work (FRBRoo).

The representation of a text in a formal proposition (Nero P14 performed
E7 Activity P2 has type "singing" ...falls within Destruction....)

In the case of the Buddhist text, we would need in addition the believe
in the provenance of the post-Buddha dogma, plus the reading, resulting
in a different provenance for the paragraph.

If we agree on something like that, let us see if we can simplify or
shortcut anything.

best,

Martin**

                                |  Email:martin at ics.forth.gr  |