[Crm-sig] Rights model

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Mon Mar 20 23:42:02 EET 2017

Apologies for the delay in responding, we’ve been trying to map out the extent of the information we need to track to enable research on historical art markets and ownership.

One of the most interesting and challenging questions that has come up is around joint ownership of a piece of art.  Ownership of an object is clearly a Right, but is it divisible with P148_has_component (via inheritance from E89)?  For example, if two Persons each own 50% of the value of an object, is there an Ownership Right, which has two component Rights, each of which have a dimension of 50% ?

Or would that mean that there are two halves of the expression of the Right, perhaps the main clause and an equally long rider?

I think that answering this question will help with the broader question of the meaning of E30.

Some use cases:
 * Two dealers (Knoedler and Goupil) jointly pay for a painting, and later jointly share the profits (or loss!) when it’s sold
 * A donor donates 10% of the value of an object each year for 10 years (to spread out the tax write off)
 * A married couple divorce and agree to have half share in the value of their statue
 * The children of the owner inherit an equal share of the valuable manuscript on the owner’s death
 * The object is jointly owned by the city and the museum from when the city and museum were indistinguishable as organizations

Many thanks,

Rob

On 3/10/17, 9:53 AM, "Crm-sig on behalf of martin" <crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr on behalf of martin at ics.forth.gr> wrote:

    On 28/2/2017 9:50 μμ, Robert Sanderson wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Given the current model, I believe that E30 Right is an instance of the holding of a Right, rather than the concept of the Right itself?  For example, E30 is not “Copyright” or “Apache 2.0” or “Ownership” … it is “The holding of copyright of an object by Martin”, “the use of Apache 2.0 for some code by Rob”, or “Ownership of a house by Emma”.
    Dear Robert,

    Yes, here we should actually talk about three things: The holding of the
    right, the content of the right, and the concept of the right. E30 is
    intended to be the content of the right, which is relatively trivial if
    it is just an instance of unspecified copyright, but not if it is an
    individual contract. If the holding of the right can be merged with the
    content or not, is to be discussed. See my previous message.

    best,

    martin