[Crm-sig] ISSUE: States and Situations

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Mar 14 22:33:51 EET 2017

Dear All,

CRMSci defines:

S16 State

Subclass of: E2 <#_E2_Temporal_Entity_1> Temporal Entity
Superclass of: E3 <#_E3_Condition_State_1> Condition State

Scope note:         This class comprises the persistence of a particular
value range of the properties of a particular thing or things over a
time-span.

In First Order Logic:
                S16(x) ⊃ E2(x)

This does not clarify a lot.

I propose: This class comprises the persistence of a particular value
range of the properties of a particular thing or things over a
time-span.  The identity of an instance of S16 State is given by
prescribing the properties and value ranges under consideration, such as
"me being in my office". From this prescription of properties results
the ability to observe the time-span, and possibly the spatial area, for
which the specified properties hold.

SXX Situation:

I propose: This class comprises the persistence of a particular value
range of the properties of a particular thing or things over a
time-span. The identity of an instance of SXX Situation is given by
prescribing kinds of properties and a particular time-span and possibly
the spatial area. From this prescription of properties results the
ability to observe thevalues of the kinds of properties which hold in
the specified time-span and spatial area.

Comment: Observations typically describe situations. States need
"complete observations" and are often inferred from interpolating
between observed situations.

Best,

martin