[Crm-sig] HW Temporal Primitives

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Mar 10 23:13:37 EET 2017

Dear Richard,

Your comments have been discussed in the last SIG meeting.

Indeed, the fuzzy start and end of a Temporal Entity corresponds to
upper and lower bounds for the properties P82a/P81a ('start of the
beginning' and 'end of the beginning') and P81b/P82b ('start of the end'
and 'end of the end'), . I.e. P82a < Astart < P81a and P81a < P81b and
P81b < Aend < P82b.

The idea being, that once the boundaries are fuzzy, they cannot be
determined exactly, but only be approximated.

In general, we cannot describe the begin and end as events or phases in
their own right, because that would create an endless recursion. This is
consistent with P81a < P81b. In cases such events exist, they should be
modeled explicitly. Then, knowledge of end of the beginning event may
indeed be after knowledge of the start of the ending event.

You said:
  "I must say I'm not particularly convinced by the description of fuzzy
boundaries as a 'gradual transition from not existing to definitely
existing'.  The sentence "They *do not* circumscribe the relation of
incomplete or imprecise knowledge to reality." suggests that this is
nothing to do with uncertainty over when a Temporal Entity started or
finished, but I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning of
'circumscribe' in this context.  It would be helpful if this sentence
could be re-worded to make its intent clearer."

Please see the current version as decided in the minutes
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/sites/default/files/minutes%20of%2037th%20meeting%20Berlin%20%28draft%202%29.docx.

The phrase has been changed to "The fuzzy boundaries do not describe the
relation of incomplete or imprecise knowledge to reality."

It was decided to spell out all boundaries as A^start and A^end etc. for
better reading.

Thank you for your contribution!

Martin