[Crm-sig] Pages reproduced as spreads

Pierre Choffé choffepierre at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 16:32:25 EET 2017

In this case why not use a simple

P2 has type

E55 Type “double-page spread” on your E84 Information Carrier? (in which case it would be good to also type the “single-page spread” E84)

Or specialize the

R29 reproduced

 property into 2 sub-properties, one for the single-page reproduction, one for the double-page reproduction?

I would go for the latter. What do you think?

All best,

Pierre

On mar. 07 mars 2017 at 15:22 "Florian Kräutli"

<
mailto:
> wrote:

a, pre, code, a:link, body { word-wrap: break-word !important; }

Hi Pierre,

Yes, that's basically it. I don't want to get too specific about things if it's not necessary.

Best,

Florian

On 7 Mar 2017, at 15:18, Pierre Choffé <
mailto:choffepierre at gmail.com
> wrote:

Thank you Florian. So, basically what you want to do is signal that a PDF contains single-page or double-page spreads, is that it? Or do you want your model to be very specific about all the points you mention?

Pierre

On mar. 07 mars 2017 at 15:13 "Florian Kräutli"

<
mailto:
> wrote:

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your reply!

I will try to give you a bit more context. At the centre of the model is the book. However, researchers are primarily working with its PDF reproduction.

They want to be able to specify the number of pages in a book, and later also want to specify the page range for each chapter in the book.

The PDFs are retrieved from different sources and sometimes contain an extra page with source information. In addition, as is usually the case, the page numbers in the PDF do not correspond to the page numbers in the book.

Because we cannot safely say how many pages are in the book, we only enter the number of pages in the PDF. Also when we locate the chapters in the book, we refer to the page number in the PDF and not to the book.

Later on we would like to be able to say how many pages a chapter occupies in a book. The same chapter will appear in several books, therefore this can vary for the same chapter.

Our problem is that when PDFs reproduce a double-page spread on a single page, chapters in the PDFs will appear to be half as long as in the book. Therefore, we want to be able to tell if the PDF contains single-page or double-page spreads.

All the best,

Florian

On 7 Mar 2017, at 15:04, Pierre Choffé <
mailto:choffepierre at gmail.com
> wrote:

Hi Florian,

What is the granularity level of your present model? The book?

What kind of information would you like to retrieve and for what usage? What problem are you trying to solve?

Are there only 2 possible cases? (either globally for the book 1PDF=1page or 1PDF=2pages, but never “in some cases a mix of both”)

All best,

Pierre

On mar. 07 mars 2017 at 12:36 "Florian Kräutli"

<
mailto:
> wrote:

Dear all,

I have a collection of Books (F5) that have been reproduced (F33) as PDFs (E84).

In some cases, books have been digitised as spreads i.e. one page in the PDF represents two pages in the book.

Is there an elegant way to model this?

Best,

Florian

mailto:Crm-sig at ics.forth.gr