[Crm-sig] Rights model

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Wed Mar 1 04:07:08 EET 2017

Can I then transfer ownership of an E30 Right? No, as you transfer ownership of Physical Things (E18), not of Propositional (E89), Conceptual (E28), Man-Made (E71), Things (E70).
If Martin transferred copyright to a publisher … then Martin no longer possesses the instance of Copyrightness.  Or more familiarly, ownership … the right of ownership is transferred by an Acquisition. One could argue that custody is a Right. The JPG Museum has legal custody of Irises, and could transfer that right to another Museum for an Exhibition.

As soon as the Right is an instance of some specific class of Right, rather than the holding of it, we seem to crash headlong into the rest of the model whereby activities transfer rights to objects and model the current state of those rights.

On the other hand, if E30 were the Period of holding of the Right, it would fit in nicely.  The Acquisition transfers ownership of the object as always, and starts the period of ownership. The period of ownership is the holding of the right of ownership over the object… thereby completing our ternary relation of Right/Object/Actor.  Which can’t be otherwise expressed, as it is not an Activity (no intentional action) and Period/Event do not have appropriate links to objects/actors.  (P11 and P12 on Event are very weak compared to is_subject_to!)

If E30 were a subclass of E5 Event, and subject_to was sub property of P12i, and possesses P11i, these problems would go away :)

Rob