[Crm-sig] ISSUE MonetaryAmount Identity

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Wed Jan 18 18:53:53 EET 2017

Hi Simon,

I agree with you completely :)  40 yards is a length, 5.28 seconds is a duration, 1 million USD is a value.  In which case, there need only be ever one URI that is the identity for the length “40 yards” or the value “1 million USD”. However, if you say that 40 yards is actually a height in some instances, and a width in others, now it is specific to a particular orientation of a particular object and you need different identities for each Dimension / Monetary Amount.

Hence, given Martin’s statement that height is a p2_has_type addition to a Dimension, I could equivalently have Types of Starting Price, Hammer Price, Estimated Price, Paid Amount and so on in the Auction use case.  Making those Monetary Amounts tied exclusively to the Auction.  And hence my assertion that this is not “just” an implementation detail, but an ontological design choice.

Rob